Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Dr. Jin - What are you doing?!?

I'm both excited and fustrated about the latest drama with Song Seung Heon, Dr. Jin - Timeslip.  The story is about a "genius neurosurgeon", Dr. Jin, who is transported back in time to the Joseon period.  As a surgeon, he starts off as cold and heartless.   As a person, he's caring and thoughtful with his girlfriend.  

Now, watching the drama,  I just love it because SSH is in it.  I love his acting, how he looks (I got use to the ponytail he sports), and just him in general.  But I'm having problems with 90% of the characters in the drama, including his.  Someone wrote how the drama has alot of irritating characters in all the dramas they've seen.  I'm on episode 11 and I understand that feeling.  (I won't go into too much detail of the drama so I won't spoil anything if anyone watches this).

As Dr. Jin tries to save the sick and injured, he is introducing modern medicine and techniques.  At the beginning, I could understand why he did it.  I believe it's because that's who he is, a doctor who will save a life if he could.  Very admirable.  The only way he knows how to save them is through the techniques that he's learned during his time.  But at one point he realized he is changing history by introducing the new medicines, yet he doesn't stop.  Then he starts teaching the other doctors the techniques and how to make medicine that should not have developed at that time.  How frustrating!  How can he continue to save and educate people around him, knowing he's changing history?

Not only that, he keeps on telling some of the other characters, they can't die because they are important to the future.  I don't know how many times I've yell at the screen, "I can't believe you're doing that!" or "What are you doing?!? Stop it!"

I find most of the other characters irritating because they are the evil mean ones, anyway. There are more evil characters than the other dramas I've seen.  The "nice" ones are unexpectedly irritating.  I think because of the cultural etiquette is so formal and they don't talk out of place.  If they do, they are the "unfilial" sons/daughters or disrespecting royalty. (I must be an unfilial daughter, hahaha).   I think Dr. Jin's love interest's brother and the Queen Dowager are the only "normal" ones.  

Oh, there's also, Kim JaeJong from JYJ/DBSK.  There are moments of what he does that's frustrating but I mostly feel sorry for his character.  His character follows the rules and tries to do what's right based on his position and status but his life is falling apart around him.  On a side note, I must say he looks really good in period clothes.

Well, I think I've vented enough of my frustration about the drama.  It may sound like I don't like Dr. Jin but I like it.  I can't stop watching and if I could watch it until the end without stopping to sleep or work I would. ~ gt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. We will get back to you.